Ever since the book came out, I've received feedback about how it's made women think about friendships throughout their lives, as well as who is in their lives now. The goal of this blog is to open up and create a dialogue about friendships: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Each week I will post my thoughts, experiences, as well as various articles, topics or quotes that I feel are important when examining female friendships. Please feel free to leave comments; I look forward to hearing from you!

Email me: survivingfemalefriendships@gmail.com

Follow me: https://www.facebook.com/Surviving-Female-Friendships-839907162798307/?ref=hl https://twitter.com/ZangaraNicole

Monday, October 1, 2012

Location, Location, Location



As we become older, many of us "settle down" and find a place where we see ourselves living for a long time - at least that's the goal, right?!  For some, it's having a beach nearby; for others, it's having (and experiencing) four seasons.  Some go where their work takes them, while others choose the location because their family lives there.  

For me, I re-located for two reasons: one due to Arizona's warm and sunny weather, and the second due to having family close by.  I actually re-located from a place where I had a good network of friends - so it was a tough decision to make.  Remember, our family are our friends, too!  I've had to make new friends and keep in contact with old ones, so thankfully it has been a somewhat smooth transition.

Location is important when looking at our friendships.  Many of my close friends live in other places and so we maintain our friendship through text, e-mail and phone calls.  Of course, I wish I could see these friends more regularly, but it's just not possible unless someone moves (which I don't see happening in the near future). 

Which factors did you consider when deciding on where to live?  Was it family, friends and/or work?  Or did you not have a say in the matter?  Did where you friends live factor into your decision? 

1 comment:

  1. Eric and I have stayed here because of family, though we do yell at ourselves often for choosing to live in a place with such bad weather. We often joke that we should just move both our families to Hawaii, or Arizona :) A lot of my friends live nearby too, but those that don't I keep in touch with through the phone, facebook, gchat etc :)

    ReplyDelete